DOT Drug Testing
As of January 2018, all DOT drug tests use the same 5-panel test which screens for:
- Amphetamines (MDMA, methamphetamine)
- Opioids (codeine, heroin, morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone)
With a focus on opioids, the drug panel changes are effective across the entire DOT – impacting the drug test for every agency. The 2018 changes removed the blind specimen requirement. They removed methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDEA) and added methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA) to the initial amphetamines test. Some of the changes also make it clear medical marijuana is not permitted in DOT safety-sensitive roles, even if it’s legal in someone’s state. The Department of Transportation’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulation – 49 CFR Part 40, at 40.151(e) – does not authorize “medical marijuana” under state law to be a valid medical explanation for a transportation employee’s positive drug test result.
Information On This Topic
Understanding Drug Testing Types, Methods and Specimen Collection
Examining the wide assortment of drug testing options available and exploring the potential pros and cons of each method
There are several reasons or circumstances that can lead to the necessity of a drug test.
Why do businesses need Random Drug Tests
Do you remember the last time you applied for a new job? Or perhaps you are a hiring manager at the business who has accepted many applications and interviewed potential hires. One common part of the hiring process is the pre-employment drug test. No matter what side of the process you are on, this drug test is designed to ensure that the company ends up with the best employees possible who will be able to perform their duties safely and successfully.
Prescription Drug Abuse Signs, Symptoms and Statistics
Prescription drug abuse implies taking prescription medication was not given to you by the doctor, or taking your prescription medication in a manner that differs from the instructions. While taking prescription medication is not perceived as equivalent to taking illegal street drugs, the consequences can be equally harsh
Cut-off Concentrations for Drug Tests in 2020
|Initial Test||Initial test cut-off concentration||Confirmatory Test||Confirmatory test cut-off concentration|
|Marijuana metabolites||50 ng/mL||THCA1||15 ng/mL|
|Cocaine metabolites||150 ng/mL||Benzoylecgonine||100 ng/mL|
|Opiate metabolites Codeine/Morphine2||2000 ng/mL||
|6-Acetylmorphine||10 ng/mL||6-Acetylmorphine||10 ng/mL|
|Phencyclidine||25 ng/mL||Phencyclidine||25 ng/mL|
As a collection site, Test Smartly Labs meets the specifications required for us to collect for this test, as well as the security requirements.
Be prepared for your drug test!
- Bring your Government Issued Picture ID
- Bring Drug Test Paperwork or Authorization
- Complete TSL Intake Form & HIPAA Disclosure
- Pay for your test on site
- Make sure you are hydrated if you are performing a Urine Test
- Expect to have your nail polish removed if getting a Nail Drug Test
- We do not need your prescription information but a Medical Review Officer (MRO) may contact you after collection to verify your medications.
- For urine testing, plan on arriving 3 hours before we close (1 hr minimum) to provide a cushion of time for a shy bladder situation.
- For hair testing, be sure to dry your hair completely before arriving.
- For nail testing, be sure to clean your nails with soap and water before arriving. Also, artificial nails and polish must be removed.
What Are Your Hours?
- All Test Smartly Labs are open Monday through Friday, from 9am - 5pm
- The Overland Park Testing Center is also open from 9am – 1pm on Saturdays
Do We Need To Have An Appointment?
- No appointment is required to come into our labs, and all of our locations are on a walk-in basis. However, it is recommended you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing. If your situation requires special time considerations, please call us to determine if it would be better to arrange an appointment time.
Do I Need Doctors’ Orders For Testing?
- No doctors’ orders needed, we are a Direct-Access Testing Center. You are encouraged to consult your medical professional with your lab test results.
What’s The Turnaround Time For Lab Work?
- Average turnaround time is 2-5 business days depending on the complexity of the lab work. Most tests are available in 2-3 days.
Do You Need A List Of My Medications For A Drug Test?
- Per protocol, the lab techs are not allowed to receive or ask for your medications. A medical review officer or MRO, a licensed physician who specializes in toxicology, will call you and ask for your medications and your physician’s phone number if it’s detected in your sample during testing. The MRO will then call your physician to verify your medications.
On-site Dot Drug & Alcohol Testing
Whether it’s at the scene of an accident or in your office chair – Test Smartly Labs can provide on-site testing services that are all considered DOT-compliant.
Our trained professionals are well-versed in the many rules and regulations surrounding DOT testing procedures. We offer a variety of options to meet your needs and get your DOT drug and alcohol tests done.
From the logistics and requirements regarding how urine or breath is collected to the actual spaces, surfaces and areas required in several DOT agency manuals, we’ve got you covered. We’re also familiar with the forms you’ll need to ensure the test is valid.
For a DOT testing partner, you can trust Test Smartly labs. To get started, give us a call.
DOT Jobs And Drug Testing
DOT drug testing is a routine part of an employee’s lifecycle, and it begins with pre-employment testing.
Whether someone is applying to drive a bus, fly a plane or operate a rail car – a DOT drug test will need to be passed before a job is ever offered to them. No DOT employer is allowed to offer a job to someone who does not receive a negative test result from a controlled substance panel.
While drug testing is a mandatory test for pre-employment, agencies differ on how to handle alcohol screening for pre-employment. Refer to the specific rules and restrictions for the individual DOT agencies.
Test Smartly Labs is a trusted partner amongst many workng in DOT agencies, and we’re often relied upon to perform the pre-employment DOT drug test. We’re up-to-date on the latest changes and regulations in the industry. You can trust us to run the test you need, following all proper procedures.