Hair Follicle Testing
Hair follicle testing is one of the drug testing industry’s most popular drug tests. It is used very often in court cases when judicial decisions hinge on drug test results, and it’s also many employers’ preferred drug testing method, especially when checking people who work in positions that rely on safety and reliability.
How Does Hair Follicle Testing Work?
When someone intakes drugs, in any method, the drug will enter the bloodstream. The bloodstream connects the entire body, including the hair follicle and hair shaft.
If drugs are in your bloodstream, they will make their way to the hair shaft and into the protein (called keratin) that’s part of your hair.
When we perform your hair drug test, our trained collectors will collect a pencil-sized hair strand (ideally from the crown of the head and as closely to the scalp as possible) and send it off for testing. It will be liquified with a chemical compound that will then test for the presence of drugs.
Hair follicle testing is also very applicable in situations where public testing of many people is needed, such as for random employee drug testing. Collection is easy, which is not to say everyone is capable of doing so and testing properly, even with specifically-oriented lab kits. Given the need for reliable tests and results you can trust, Test Smartly Labs is the best chance you have at accurate, affordable, and efficient testing for your unique purposes.
Information On This Topic
Understanding Drug Testing Types, Methods And Specimen Collection
Examining the wide assortment of drug testing options available and exploring the potential pros and cons of each method
There are several reasons or circumstances that can lead to the necessity of a drug test.
Prescription Drug Abuse: Signs, Symptoms and Statistics
Prescription drug abuse implies taking prescription medication was not given to you by the doctor, or taking your prescription medication in a manner that differs from the instructions. While taking prescription medication is not perceived as equivalent to taking illegal street drugs, the consequences can be equally harsh.
Why Do Businesses Need Random Employee Drug Tests?
Do you remember the last time you applied for a new job? Or perhaps you are a hiring manager at the business who has accepted many applications and interviewed potential hires. One common part of the hiring process is the pre-employment drug test. No matter what side of the process you are on, this drug test is designed to ensure that the company ends up with the best employees possible who will be able to perform their duties safely and successfully.
Why Choose Hair Follicle Testing?
Hair follicle testing is popular for other reasons.
- 14-90 days – a hair drug test will most accurately detect drug use within this window of time.
- Chronic users - The affordability, reliability and speed of results make it one of the best tests for chronic drug users.
- 3-5 days – that’s how quickly you’ll get the test results.
- No cheating - there’s no proven way to cheat a hair follicle drug test.
- Non-invasive - Particularly when compared to tests that involve collecting urine, hair follicle tests simply require plucking a few strands of hair from the scalp.
Be prepared for your drug test:
- Bring your Government Issued Picture ID
- Bring Drug Test Paperwork or Authorization
- Complete TSL Intake Form & HIPAA Disclosure
- Pay for your Test on the same day it happens
- Make sure you are hydrated if you are performing a Urine Test
- Expect to have your nail polish removed if getting a Nail Drug Test
- We do not need your prescription information but a Medical Review Officer (MRO) may contact you after collection to verify your medications.
- For urine testing, plan on arriving 3 hours before we close (1 hr minimum) to provide a cushion of time for a shy bladder situation.
- For hair testing, be sure to dry your hair completely before arriving.
- For nail testing, be sure to clean your nails with soap and water before arriving. Also, artificial nails and polish must be removed.
What Are Your Hours?
- All Test Smartly Labs are open Monday through Friday, from 9am - 5pm
- The Overland Park Testing Center is also open from 9am – 1pm on Saturdays
Do We Need To Have An Appointment?
- No appointment is required to come into our labs, and all of our locations are on a walk-in basis. However, it is recommended you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing. If your situation requires special time considerations, please call us to determine if it would be better to arrange an appointment time.
Do I Need Doctors’ Orders For Testing?
- No doctors’ orders needed, we are a Direct-Access Testing Center. You are encouraged to consult your medical professional with your lab test results.
What’s The Turnaround Time For Lab Work?
- Average turnaround time is 2-5 business days depending on the complexity of the lab work. Most tests are available in 2-3 days.
Do You Need A List Of My Medications For A Drug Test?
- Per protocol, the lab techs are not allowed to receive or ask for your medications. A medical review officer or MRO, a licensed physician who specializes in toxicology, will call you and ask for your medications and your physician’s phone number if it’s detected in your sample during testing. The MRO will then call your physician to verify your medications.