Autoimmune Disease Testing
Autoimmune disease occurs when your body attacks healthy cells, seeing them as foreign invaders. Your immune system goes on the defense against what is healthy, causing a range of disorders and diseases. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimates 23.5 million Americans carry an autoimmune disorder. It’s important to work with a doctor to understand, diagnose and treat autoimmune disease.
Lab Testing for Autoimmune Disease
Genetics can play a major role in why an autoimmune disease forms viruses too; however, many times the cause is unknown. If you or a doctor suspect you’re suffering from an autoimmune disease, a series of lab tests can be performed.
- Autoantibody test
- C-Reactive Protein (CRP)
- Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)
Kinds of Autoimmune Disease
There are many different types of autoimmune disease, some of the most common are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Celiac disease
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Type 1 diabetes
The side effects vary, as well as the health threats. It’s important to work with a doctor to understand, diagnose and treat autoimmune disease.
Test Smartly Labs is a preferred lab testing partner because of our convenient location, friendly staff and budget-friendly lab draw services. If you need to get your lab work done, contact us!
Information On This Topic
Save a Fortune on Lab Testing (Blood Test) Services
When many people think of laboratory blood tests, they imagine making an appointment at their doctor’s office, taking time off work, paying large fees, and waiting around in the lobby for who knows how long. Then, you have to wait around for days to get a call from a nurse with your results.
Lab Testing as an Integral Part of Your Overall Fitness & Health Program
Finding one particular definition of fitness or health is challenging. According to several dictionaries, fitness means – the state or quality of being fit. Well, fitness can mean different things for different people. But, one thing is certain for many, overall fitness is all about being healthier and feeling better.
Saving Money by Shopping for Affordable Lab Testing
Let’s face it: health care is outrageously expensive in America, and the costs have been on the rise over the last couple of decades. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average consumer spent $4,968 on health care in 2018. Your health care costs may vary depending on your health insurance (or lack of it), but very few people find medical costs reasonable, especially when additional lab charges are billed after a medical visit.
Treatment for Autoimmune Diseases
Currently, most autoimmune diseases cannot be cured, but it is possible to treat them to slow or control the side-effects. Some treatments for various autoimmune diseases include:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Physical therapy
- Treatment for the deficiency
It may be difficult for your doctor to pin-point which autoimmune disease you have, as so many have overlapping symptoms and affected areas. They may have to run many different tests and examinations, and that’s why it’s important to get your testing started right away.
We haven’t given up on curing autoimmune diseases yet, and doctors are learning more about them every day. Contact Test Smartly Labs today to get your tests underway and join the fight with patients and researchers everywhere.
Be prepared for your lab test:
- Make sure you have been Fasting for at least 10-12 hours for many blood tests
- Make sure you are Hydrated for blood draw
- Complete TSL Intake Form & HIPAA Disclosure
- Pay for your lab test upfront (We don't process insurance claims but can provide you with information to submit your own insurance claim)
- If you are having specialized testing, call ahead to help us determine if there are special collection preparations.
- If you are interested in one of our health panels, please feel free to look at our web listing to help identify which one you want performed.
- Please try to arrive 30 minutes prior to business closing to allow us time to process your samples for shipment.
What Are Your Hours?
- All Test Smartly Labs are open Monday through Friday, from 9am - 5pm
- The Overland Park Testing Center is also open from 9am – 1pm on Saturdays
Do We Need To Have An Appointment?
- No appointment is required to come into our labs, and all of our locations are on a walk-in basis. However, it is recommended you arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing. If your situation requires special time considerations, please call us to determine if it would be better to arrange an appointment time.
Do I Need Doctors’ Orders For Testing?
- No doctors’ orders needed, we are a Direct-Access Testing Center. You are encouraged to consult your medical professional with your lab test results.
What’s The Turnaround Time For Lab Work?
- Average turnaround time is 2-5 business days depending on the complexity of the lab work. Most tests are available in 2-3 days.
Do You Need A List Of My Medications For A Drug Test?
- Per protocol, the lab techs are not allowed to receive or ask for your medications. A medical review officer or MRO, a licensed physician who specializes in toxicology, will call you and ask for your medications and your physician’s phone number if it’s detected in your sample during testing. The MRO will then call your physician to verify your medications.