Prolactin is a hormone produced in the pituitary gland most commonly associated with breastfeeding. Although both men and women have prolactin in small amounts, pregnant women and new mothers who recently delivered and are breastfeeding carry the most prolactin in their bodies.
The American Association for Chemical Chemistry explains a doctor may request prolactin testing when:
- There’s an issue with a new mom trying to breastfeed but having trouble
- Someone is lactating (but not intending to)
- Women are experiencing infertility, menopause or other aging signs
- Men are experiencing reduced libido
- They are suspicious of a major problem contributing to symptoms
Prolactin testing can be tested alone, but is often part of an infertility panel of tests a doctor may request.
For all of our infertility blood tests, we encourage you to work with a medical doctor to both determine the tests you need and how to interpret and take action regarding the results.
Our clients like our easy-to-find facility, quick service and friendly staff. We’re much more convenient than having labs drawn at the hospital. Plus, our costs are much lower.
To get started, call us at Test Smartly Labs today.