Lead Exposure Testing

Lead poisoning, also known as plumbism, is essentially a buildup of lead in the body over time. Though this condition is rare, it requires a medical diagnosis and can be treated within a few months.
Lead is a very common heavy metal. From batteries and x-ray shields to gasoline and painting or other home construction products, exposure to small amounts of lead is quite common. Although it’s naturally occurring, high levels of lead can be very harmful to our bodies.
Since 1978, lead-based paints have been banned from the U.S. and many other regulations have been established to limit our exposure. However, older homes and buildings, as well as several workplaces, still expose many people to higher amounts of lead. A buildup of lead in the bloodstream is called lead poisoning.

Signs of lead poisoning?

Being aware of lead exposure is especially important if you have children or are pregnant. If you work around a lot of lead products or live or work in old buildings you should be cautious and know the signs and symptoms.
Lead poisoning is not something that happens overnight, exposure to it can build up over weeks and months, even years. It’s unlikely that you’ll have symptoms of lead poisoning Common signs of lead poisoning:

  • Pain in the abdomen or joints
  • Constipation, nausea, or vomiting
  • Fatigue, insomnia
  • Loss of appetite or memory loss
  • Hyperactivity or irritability
  • In children: baby colic, learning disability, slow growth

Treatment, as in any medical condition, is dependent on the severity. Most common treatment is toxicity medication and resolves within a couple months.

Not only is Test Smartly Labs a drug testing service, we can also run a lead poisoning test to determine if the levels of lead in your body are at a healthy level. If you show signs of lead poisoning or a high amount is detected in your test, consult your primary care physician immediately. Find a location nearest you and schedule a test today.