The American Heart Association recommends all adults age 20 or older have their cholesterol checked every four to six years.
If you’re not routinely seeing a physician for routine check-ups, or if you’re managing costs and want to get your labs drawn in a budget-friendly facility (compared to hospitals!), Test Smartly Labs can help!
What’s involved in cholesterol testing?
The cholesterol test is a blood test, often called the complete fasting lipoprotein. It’s done through a blood draw, and you are not to eat or drink 8 hours before the test (AKA complete fasting.)
We recommend you take it in the morning – and we can make sure you get in and out of our office.
If you or your doctor want other panels run in addition to cholesterol (like CMP), we will collect all of the blood samples we’ll need to run the panels at one time – so you won’t need multiple pokes.
What does a cholesterol test look for?
The cholesterol test will examine your blood for:
- HDL (good) cholesterol (higher is better)
- LDL (bad) cholesterol (lower is better)
- Triglycerides (lower is better)
We will provide you with a report that you can take to discuss with your medical doctor.
Common Cholesterol/Lipid Panel
Here’s our Cholesterol/Lipid Profile Comprehensive Panel:
- Lipoprofile NMR for LDL Particle Size (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance)
- Apolipoprotein B
- Lipid Panel with LDL:HDL Ratio, VLDL Calculation
- Cholesterol, Total
- HDL (High-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol) (HDL-C)
- LDL (Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol) (LDL-C)
- Tryglycerides (part of lipid profile)